Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Exploration & Exposition Challenge!
We invite students from across the country to participate in this exciting opportunity to explore and contribute to the world of open source technology. As part of the virtual challenge, participants individually or in teams of two, will explore designated FOSS tools relevant to cybersecurity, and produce a white paper that can serve as a valuable reference for cybersecurity professionals and enthusiasts.
Exploration and Exposition Challenge
Hands-On Experience: Engage with real-world FOSS tools used in cybersecurity, gaining practical skills and experience.
Networking Opportunities: Connect with experts and enthusiasts in the field, expanding your professional network.
Skill Development: Enhance your analytical, research, and documentation skills through the competition’s various stages.
Recognition: Stand a chance to be recognized for your expertise and potentially win cash prizes.
Open to all students across India who will participate remotely, either individually or in teams of two.
Timeline & Deliverables
The entire competition will be spread over a duration of 1 month featuring staggered deliverables across the timeline.
Application Deadline: November 30
Announcement of participants: December 9
Submission of the tentative proposal for review: December 13
Submission of progression report: December 17
Final report submission: December 27
Final online presentation: January 8
How will it work?
- Register your team of two. Share your tool preferences (at the least, two) through the provided Google form.
- Stay tuned for the assignment of a FOSS tool.
- Once your team is assigned a tool, start exploring it.
- Submit your planning document, progress report, white paper and final presentation by the specified deadlines.
- Trust Lab will provide a curated list of FOSS tools.
- Tools will belong to three categories: defense, attack, and forensics.
- Participants will rank their top 2-3 choices through a Google form.
- Suggestions for additional FOSS tools are also welcome.
- While we are asking you to indicate your tool preferences, please note that due to various factors, you may still be assigned a different tool. Rest assured, we will do our best to accommodate your preferences and ensure a fulfilling experience for all.
Award for Exceptional White Papers
Only outstanding white papers that demonstrate exceptional understanding and analysis of FOSS tools stand a chance for a cash award ranging from INR 30,000-40,000. The awarding of prizes is at the discretion of the evaluation committee.